Saturday, January 21, 2006

Educational Gamer's Mom, pt. 2

I was suprised to get a response back from Sleepless Mama about my post commenting on her website.

First of all, I never said she sat in front of the TV for "hours." I specifically said "long periods of time." A four-year-old does not spend hours in a row doing any one thing, except perhaps sleeping. What qualifies as a long time to a small child would probably be considerhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifed quite short to you.

Second, I think you should read my newest post.
A great follow-up post. You sound like a well rounded parent. I was really glad to see that you don't have a stigma towards video games as a whole and that didn't lead me to believe you did.

And when I said I could write about this for hours, this is what I meant:

In my mind, gaming like that (though not quite like your husband's) is similar to me in many ways to Play-Doh or musical instruments. A child could spend equal amounts of time doing anything and someone could consider it "wasted". I, too, played an instrument in school for seven years. I was also a thespian for seven years. I was on the highschool tennis team. Ten years later, the only thing I retained from all that was that I play tennis once a week with a city club.

I'm a strong believer in gamers catching the programming bug, or the elecronic arts. I grew up to program webpages for four years. Hobbies are hobbies. It's what is learned from those hobbies that is important. And apparently you agree.

I do appologize for the "hours" bit. I have no idea where that came from and I guess I did glean that from you talking about your husband's gaming habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment