Thursday, December 10, 2009

Brian's Game of the Year 2009

Okay, for a game to be eligible to be GOTY is that it is a game I have played in length this year. This does exclude Modern Warfare 2 for me. Yes I have played it but I have a policy, if a game is for the Christmas rush then it is push to the following year for GOTY awards eligibility.

Last years’ PTG unanimous winner was CoD4 Modern Warfare. And still enjoyed that game all the way to 11-10-09. To think about what game pulled me away from CoD4. There were a lot of games that pulled me away but for the most part only temporarily. Few had me wanting to come back to them. But one and only one stayed in my console until it was complete. And I will at some point revisit it, playing from the beginning again.

I have to thank the other Brian for playing this game early in the year. I kept seeing it show up when he was online. I wanted a change from CoD4 and didn’t care if it was mediocre. So, I thought that if he was playing it all of the time it can’t be a waste of time or money.

So I popped in my local (insert over rated game store here) and picked up Fallout 3. I was intrigued from the moment my character was born. It kept my attention through the adolescent stage but I was waiting for the good stuff. Once you leave the vault, the true romance of the game started. I have play RPG’s in the past, and I have loved and hated them. The worst thing is repetition in an RPG. But in Fallout 3 repetition is broken by varying tasks and enemies. I did not get caught up in the technical miscues. I just enjoyed it for being entertainment.

The FPS portions where done incredibly well to be part of a RPG. I will admit I did spent a lot of time in 3rd person. The story throughout including the expansion packs kept me playing until all was complete. I did miss on some things that I can’t go back and do, because I like blowing things up. I love the mini nuke.

So is it another unanimous GOTY for PTG?

GOTY - Fallout 3
Car GOTY - Forza 3
XBLA GOTY - Battlefield 1943
Overrated GOTY - Halo ODST & Fable 2

No comments:

Post a Comment